Thursday, October 9, 2014

Felt pen caterpillar

If I was lucky enough to be twelve years old again and sitting up in the treehouse with a nice set of markers I would draw a caterpillar much like this one. It seemed to drop from nowhere this noon. It was not on the picnic table and then it was. I wanted to fill in the other stripes with magenta and turquoise felt pens. No, not those stinky Magic Markers that could kill you if you inhaled. I'm talking about the first colored felt-tip pens.

Identification was not as easy as expected, but I'm leaning toward the caterpillar of the eight-spotted forester moth. That's a cute little black and white diurnal moth with an op-art Sixties sensibility.





Photo by NLR--Forester moth 7/29/2013

My op-art Paper Mate pen was tomato orange with black circles. It was totally groovy. Paper Mate even sent me a paper dress with psychedelic spots. Paper dresses are crunchy and uncomfortable...


Photos of completed projects and works in progress © 2014 Nancy L. Ruder with all rights reserved.

No comments: