Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mourner costume by Matisse


Adding this costume to my file of inspirations. Henri Matisse designed costumes for Serge Diaghilev's 1920 Ballets Russes production of "The Song of the Nightingale". It is part of the National Gallery of Australia's collection, and I appreciate the informative webpage.

Matisse may not have had moths on his mind when he designed the mourner costumes, but I did when I saw it at the National Gallery in Washington, D.C. Sunday morning.  "Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes, 1909-1929: When Art Danced With Music" continues in the East Building until September second.  It is a feast for the senses and nectar for my artist soul.




Photos of completed projects and works in progress © 2013 Nancy L. Ruder with all rights reserved.

No comments: